The Padma Vibhushan is the second highest civilian award of India after the Bharat Ratna. It is for “exceptional and distinguished service”, without distinction of race, occupation, position, or sex. The award recognizes individuals for their “service in any field including service rendered by Government servants”. Doctors and scientists may also included within the scope of this award. However those working with public sector undertakings are beyond the scope of the award.
Two civilian awards created on 2 January 1954. The first being Bharat Ratna. The other – a three tiered award called Padma Vibhusan (class I, class II, class III). A year later in 1955, the Padma Vibhushan was reclassified into three different awards. They are:
- The second highest civilian award- Padma Vibhushan
- The third highest civilian award – Padma Bhusan
- The fourth highest civilian award – Padma Shri
Satyendra Nath Bose, Nandalal Bose, Zakir Husain, Balasaheb Gangadhar Kher, V.K Krishna Menon and Jigme Dorji Wangchuk were the first recipients of the honor in 1954. Since then, the number of awardees has reached a total of 307 and counting.
Viral at click takes you through the list of Padma Vibhushan winners this year.
- Ms. Teejan Bai: She is folk artist from Chattisgarh. Born in 1956, she performs Pandavani wherein she enacts tales from Mahabharata. Previously, she had won the Padma Bhusan in 2003 and Padma Shri in 1987.
- Shri Ismail Omar Guelleh (Foreigner): The President of Djibouti, has been honored for his role in safe evacuation of Indian citizens from Yemen.
- Shri Anilkumar Manibhai Naik: The group chairperson of Larson & Toubro has been awarded the Padma Vibhusan in 2019. Previouly, he had also won the Padma Bhusan in the year 2009.
- Shri Balwant Moreshwar Purandare: Most note worthily known for his plays and works based on the life events of Shivaji. A first time Padma awardee, he also won Maharashtra’s highest civilian award the Maharashtra Bhusan in 2015.